Sports news from Nyngan

Nyngan GOLF

A come from behind win by Jodi Douglas and Tim Tulenew in the mixed foursomes championship was the day's highlight. 

Inconvenienced by a neck injury Jodi's drives were sprayed all over the place, over the fence on the fifth, up against the fence on the 11th and up the butt of a few trees.

Tim hit some extra good recovery shots and around the greens they were rock solid. A round of 84 in the morning left them one shot off the pace.

A 38 in the afternoon round was their best effort of the day and they finished up with a total of 122 which was three better than Mim Pateman and Ozzie Smith who were in with a chance until the second last hole, where they had a double bogey compared to the winner's par, they had Buckley's chance of making up the leeway in one hole. 

However they did win the handicap section with 101 nett clear cut winners over Robyn Harris and Mark Keighran 104 nett.

The had a disaster on the 16th playing a wrong ball and howling out for an eight. Colleen Anderson and Text Tomex earned a ball for their 105 nett. The even money favourites Mandy Martin and Dave Bartley had no rhythm at all and finished stone motherless in the handicap section.

Congratulations to the winners and thank you to everyone who turned up and had a go. Saturday's game was a breeze for Tex he finished with the imposing score of plus five. Only two others finished with positive figures that was Rex Vane (+2) and Pat Walsh (+1). 

A rare double for Pat winning both pins. Dave Buggy putted around $860 last week his putt finished in the poker machine room. Badge draw is for $1400. The menu was very popular last week, something different this week. Gold next Saturday is the May monthly medal.

Sunday is a 4BBB par. The ladies have the same which includes the qualifying round of the Keno NSW Fourball Championships. 

Tigers Under 12s  (Round 5)

The Mighty Tigers Under 12's this week defeated Cobar 56-0 at Cobar. 

With Round 5 being a split round this meant our Under 11s were playing in Dubbo whilst the the 12's had to travel to play in Cobar and with a couple of our Under 12s boys out injured or unavailable it was necessary to pinch a few of the Under 11s to help us out in Cobar. After much deliberation it was decided that Gus Oneil, Harry Gudgeon, and Cooper Black's form warranted that they should get the call up and leave their under 11 mates for the week to give the 12s a hand to overcome the Cobar Roosters. And these three boys from the Under 11's were arguably the best three players on the field. 

The Cobar side was huge and towered over our boys. As the boys ran on and shook hands it looked like we were playing the Cobar 14's by their size and the comment was made from the crowd that the Nyngan boys might have their work cut out for them this week. But the Mighty Tigers were not one bit phased by the big frames of the Cobar Roosters and we opened the game all guns blazing. 

The first time we got to use the ball Will Black gave a beautiful short ball to his little brother Cooper who ran a beautiful line and hit a gaping hole to race away and score under the posts. It was not long later that Cooper Black again opened Cobar up with hard determined running and it seemed Cobar could simply not handle him at all. 

This momentum paved the way for some great attacking football and about 5 minutes later it was Gus O'Neil and Harry Gudgeon combing down the left side as Gus showed some very smart and unselfish football to move the ball wide, when he possibly could have scored himself,  but instead he ensured the ball made its way to the speedster Harry Gudgeon who burned off the opposition with his blistering speed and raced away to score under the posts.

Not long later Will Black, Gus O'Neil and Gudgo again linked up from deep within our own territory to move the ball wide and then support each other resulting in another try under the posts. From this point on the flood gates opened and by the time the half time siren sounded for the break the score was 24-0.

At half time it was agreed that the second half was an opportunity to practice a few set plays and work on our off loads and to have a bit of fun. And as has been the case all season the boys listened to the coaches instructions and did exactly what was asked of them after half time. Some great off loading in the second half came from Ty Boney, Keylan Nichols and Dan Kennedy. On the back of this Issac Drady and Cooper Sheridan both picked up very good tries. Jack Melchior was pulled down one millimetre short of the line after some great team play and not long later both Connor Burley and Cruz Cook scored superb individual tries.

It was brilliant to see that as the game opened up and we began to run away with things the boys never once got white line fever and hogged the ball and in fact on numerous occasions the boys handed the ball onto their mate to let him score the try when they could of probably scored the try themselves. 

The Bulls: Still smiling despite unkind result. This week the Bulls travel to Cobar on Saturday afternoon to take on the Camels , then return to Hermidale Hotel.

The Bulls: Still smiling despite unkind result. This week the Bulls travel to Cobar on Saturday afternoon to take on the Camels , then return to Hermidale Hotel.

In defence the boys were punishing all game. They hunted in numbers and repeatedly they drove the big Cobar side backwards. For the second week in a row we kept our opposition scoreless. As always Cruz Cook and Issac Drady did a mountain of work in defence as did Cooper Sheridan, Ty Boney and Dan Kennedy.  Cooper Black, Connor Burley, Gus O'Neil and Harry Gudgeon were also very strong in defence. In the second half Will Black defended up in the front line instead of his usual defensive role at full back and he was busy making 13 very good tackles in the second half alone. Issac Drady filled in for Will at fullback during this time and he also impressed in this position.

Action Packed: Fullback Jackson Hedges.

Action Packed: Fullback Jackson Hedges.

All in all another very good win. Ty Boney was deservedly awarded the three best and fairest points, Harry Gudgeon got two points and Connor Burley got one. Players player this week went to Will Black. Next week we have a bye and then the week after on May 27 we play Dubbo City at home. 


The Warren Pumas came away with the win in Saturday's first grade game, the score not reflecting the hard work put in by the Bogan Bulls or the Puma. 

John Millgate, referee, blew the whistle and the main event was kicked off on Saturday. President Greg Moody said the game lived up to expectations. The Bulls knew they were in for a tough game as the Pumas had scored 185 points and conceded none in the previous two rounds.

Nevertheless the Bulls put up an aggressive form of defence and flustered the Pumas. 

"Their usual silky backline moves were continually shut down and dropped ball under pressure and pushing passes saw dynamic Bull Eddie Crossland twice intercept long range passes and go in under the posts," Moody said. 

"With countryman Sheridan Farley slotting both conversions." 

With only ten minutes until halftime the Bulls received a penalty within range but elected to play on and lost the ball. 

Warren then worked themselves right up to their end and were awarded a penalty try after an infringement by enthusiastic prop Gus Currans, which saw him go to the sin bin for 10 minutes. 

Half time came and the Bulls held the lead of 14 to seven. 

"The second half came down to fitness and mental toughness, these two sides have a history of close finishes," Moody said.

The Bulls got away to a great start bringing the ball from deep in their half. Eddie Crossland slipped a good pass to Dom Kennedy who streaked away to see Jackson Hedges on the inside then draw the fullback to offload to Brett Moody who finished off a great team try.

With their confidence and local crowd behind them, Nyngan looked to be in control. The Pumas, who have been training twice a week since January, then looked to reverse the momentum.

Fullback Matt Stephens became involved and Lachlan Cosgrove went up a gear. The Pumas quickly added a couple of tries and the a penalty to see the score go to 21 to 20 (Bulls way) with ten minutes to go.

The Pumas kept attacking and added two converted tries in the last 10 minutes. The final score was 34 to 21.

It was an entertaining game of rugby, played in good spirits.

"These two teams will definitely be there come finals time," Moody said. 

"For the Bulls Jimmy Elias had a top game, Gus Currans, Jack Kennedy and Tom Cleaver all picked up points, while the only Bulls player to take his hairdryer into the footy sheds, Sheridan Farley was awarded the 'difference cup'." 

The Bulls did come away with one win, as the reserve grade scored a whopping 45 to seven against the Pumas. 

Toby Miles and Mick Bush managed to put together an awesome team who gelled together. 

Luke Howard was everywhere, regularly slicing through defence.

Brad Toole, Adi Spice, Ned Dawson, Ben McKillop and Nathan Wilcox  paved the foundation up front and in defence.

Camo Bourke showed he had lost none of his rugby skills and also crossed for a try.

Bushy and the Badger steered the team effectively and powerfully running from Byron Warren at fullback.

Dom Kennedy finished with three tries and never let the Pumas get out of first gear. Jarod Shaw scored as well while Luke Howard got a double.

"If this side could get a few games together they will take some stopping come September," Moody said. 

This week the Bulls travel to Cobar on Saturday afternoon to take on the Camels , then return to Hermidale Hotel.