Mixed bag of results for Tigers teams who travelled to Dubbo to take on Westside Rabbitohs

The Nyngan Tigers travelled to Dubbo on Sunday to take on the Westside Rabbitohs and came away with a mixed bag of results.

The league tag girls went down 34-12 to Westside. Our girls got off to an ordinary start and allowed a try in the first minute of play, but to their credit they fought back from that and at times looked good. Kayla stood out once again as did the old girl Michelle Blake. 

The u/18’s made back to back victories with a gutsy never say die 20-16 victory over Westside. Our boys started the game with only thirteen players and showed plenty of spirit to come away with the win against the odds. Jacob Shone was a standout. He took us forward from the word go and never took a backward step when the Westside boys got a bit restless, super effort mate.

His front row partner Tom Fuller was also very good, big Tom rolled the sleeves up and kept taking us foward. The light weight Dewey McClelland was also a stand out. In the backs Col Rob was busy as were wingers Liam Wherritt and Toby Smith. Toby was making his debut and didn’t look one bit out of place.

The Reggies clash saw Tooley’s men give away a big lead early on for the third week in a row and then storm home to take the cash.

The tigers trailed 20-4 nearing half time and were lucky enough to jag a try right on halftime to go to the break trailing 20-10.

We held on to the footy a bit more in the second session and with Rob Lane seeing more ball the points came. Old Messa was strong in the middle as was big front rower Corey Antunovic who made good metres with the footy. Les Booney was very good in the backs and combined well with Rob Lane who was a standout in the second half. Young Keiro sealed the 34-30 victory when he finished off a great movement to crash over out wide to keep our unbeaten record intact. 

The first grade clash was definitely one that got away. We held a 16-nil lead on the stroke of halftime but allowed Westside to cross for a try on the halftime buzzer to give them a sniff. 

The least said about the refereeing performance the better, but in saying that we still should have been good enough to overcome that.

Trevor Waterhouse

The Tigers looked in control leading 22-10 with 10 to go, but a spate of penalties saw our boys off possession in the closing stages, and Westside made the most of it to come home over the top of us to steal a 24-22 victory. 

Captain-coach Jacob Neill was strong in a beaten side and if a few more of the boys can follow his lead on and off the field the results will follow. This weekend we are off to Parkes to take on the spacemen.