ANYONE thinking of going to Louth for a weekend away on August 8 and 9 has been urged by police to think again.
The annual race day planned for August 8 might have been cancelled due to the coronavirus, but police believe some people are planning to still come to town.
"It has come to the attention of officers attached to Central North Police District that a number of people intend on travelling to Louth for the weekend despite the event's cancellation," officers said.
READ MORE: See all the photos from the 2019 Louth Races
"Police remind those community members that the current restrictions on gatherings is limited to 20 people in a public place, and that physical distancing must be enforced."
Louth Turf Club has also taken to social media urging people not to come to town that weekend.
"We've heard that there are a few who are still thinking of coming to Louth on race weekend, even though the races aren't going ahead," it posted.
"Please re-consider this non essential travel as NSW tries its best to keep COVID under wraps. We want to ensure our community stays safe.
"There will be no beers at the pub. There will be no party to commiserate. There will be no other activities in the village, and certainly not a phantom race call.
"Please stay at home and make plans for a big 2021 race meeting."
Police officers said that those who fail to comply with Public Health Orders will be held liable by way of a penalty infringement notice.
Last year more than 4000 people from across Australia flocked to the tiny community in remote north-west NSW for the event.
We depend on subscription revenue to support our journalism. If you are able, please subscribe here. If you are already a subscriber, thank you for your support.