Nyngan’s Brewery Shield campaign over after loss at Dubbo

Nyngan’s hopes of a Brewery Shield final are over after a resounding loss to Dubbo on Sunday.

The Bogan Brown Snakes were bowled out for 134, a target Dubbo reached with ease to end Nyngan’s campaign.

Nyngan batted first and Alan Glenton (31) quickly went to work, but fellow opener, the usually reliable Jak Jeffery was knocked over by Dubbo opening quick James Hughes for just three.

The Brown Snakes looked back on track when Jack Lupton (29) came to the crease and he and Glenton put together a handy 54-run partnership before Lupton fell.

The Dubbo quicks wreaked havoc on Nyngan’s key men, with Bailey Edmunds (2/24) removing the skipper Toby Miles (11) before Dale O’Donnell (3/26) skewered danger-man Tim Smith (13).

Cameron Bourke (22) tried his best to steady the ship, but he was the last to fire and Dubbo’s bowlers decimated Nyngan’s tail to give the visitors just 134 to defend.

While Nyngan was desperate for early wickets, Dubbo opener Angus Norton and Tom Coady knuckled down and added 48 for the first wicket before the latter departed for 21.

Norton also fell for 21 but Nelson, captaining in place of injured regulars Matt Ellis and Ben Knaggs, then combined well with Tom Atlee.

The young skipper finished unbeaten on 56 while Atlee made 30 not as Dubbo reached the target with ease.

Terrence Ryan took both Dubbo wickets and finished with 2/43 from five overs.

Dubbo now has just one regular season match left and it will decide whether the side plays finals or not.

Ellis, out with a hamstring injury, is in doubt for Dubbo’s February 25 trip to Cobar. The winner of that match will finish third and play finals while the season is over the for loser.

Wellington and Narromine are guaranteed to finish in the top two, with Nyngan destined to finish fourth.

The details

Dubbo 2/140 defeated Nyngan 134

Nyngan Innings: Alan Glenton 31, Sam Knaggs 3/2, Dale O'Donnell 3/26

Dubbo Innings: Thomas Nelson 56 no, Tom Atlee 30 no, Terrence Ryan 2/43