Galah ignites grass fire and unplanned power outage in Nyngan

SPARKED: A galah collided with the power lines igniting a small grass fire and unplanned power outage in Nyngan on Sunday afternoon.
SPARKED: A galah collided with the power lines igniting a small grass fire and unplanned power outage in Nyngan on Sunday afternoon.

Hundreds of homes in lost power on Sunday afternoon after a galah collided with a power line igniting a small grass fire in Nyngan.

About 5.30pm Sunday afternoon Nyngan Fire and Rescue were called to Nymagee Street, opposite the Aussie Hotel, after a bird impacted the electricity network igniting a small grass fire.

It took emergency services about 15 minutes to extinguish the blaze.

According to Essential Energy 322 homes and businesses in Nyngan were affected by the unplanned power outage.

Essential Energy operations manager North Western, Damian Smith, said after sensing a fault the electricity network automatically switched power off to ensure the safety of the public and their property.

"Crews worked as quickly as safety allowed and power was restored to affected customers at 6.18pm," Mr Smith said.

"We apologise for any inconvenience the unplanned outage caused and thank customers for their understanding."

READ ALSO: