The Nyngan Golf course will be closed until further notice amid the COVID-19 pandemic.
(min cost $8)
Login or signup to continue reading
Despite the closure of clubhouses, golf was allowed to continue being played last week after new rules and social distancing measures were announced.
However, Prime Minister Scott Morrison declared on Sunday that outdoor gatherings would be limited to a maximum of two people to try to curb the coronavirus spread.
Golf Australia chairman Andrew Newbold suggested it was clear his sport now did not fall within those parameters, even if many people used it as exercise and, as such, recommended all clubs and facilities shut.
"While this is a difficult time for the golf industry and wider society, Golf Australia is committed to working with clubs and facilities across the states and territories to ensure that we return a vibrant, strong industry," Newbold said in a statement.
Golf Australia is committed to working with clubs and facilities.- Andrew Newbold
"Golf Australia acknowledges that some state and territory governments will provide additional information.
"We will keep you up to date as and when additional state and territory-based announcements are made.
"So you are clear on the legalities of golf courses and their operations moving forward."
Golf Australia is lobbying state and federal governments to ensure, in the event of further restrictions, that course staff will still be able to access clubs and facilities.
"We will keep you all up to date as to the status of these discussions, although it should be noted that as of now there are no further restrictions on current greenkeeping operations," Mr Newbold said.
COVID-19 has halted organised sport in Australia at the highest level, but also at grassroots clubs across the country.
Some $5 billion worth of Australia's sport and recreation facilities are at risk, according to industry experts
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date.